Open Tues-Sun 11AM-7PM at 42 West Street in Brooklyn!
In the last century, the Scandinavian interior design style has won the hearts and minds of interior designers and home décor enthusiasts. One of the primary reasons many people are inspired to create this interior style in their houses is because of its ageless, immaculate, and calm appeal. The style is a perfect combination of iconic and tranquility. It embraces practicality and design and is purposefully crafted to create a warm and cozy environment that transforms the interiors of homes.
Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland, and Sweden make up Scandinavia, which is located in Northern Europe. The Scandinavian interior design uses a combination of textures and soft colors to make clean, modern décor seem warm and welcoming. It stresses clean lines, functionality, and useful, stylish, and pleasant furniture.
Clean lines, simplicity, utility, and subtle aesthetic are hallmarks of Scandinavian design. Its absence of clutter is one of the things that makes it so appealing. In Scandinavian-style rooms, there are no excess things. Decors and accessories are kept to a minimum and everything is perfectly organized.
Scandinavians also place a high emphasis on nature and the beauty of the outdoors. In Scandinavian homes, wood flooring is often left exposed, and lighter wood tones are common. Plants, of course, are a great addition for truly bringing nature indoors.
Many Scandinavian hues are predominantly neutral, with bursts of black and tan. That's not to imply the style is devoid of color; rather, the overall interiors tend to be monochrome, with color accents. Also, a two-toned color combination is common in Scandinavian homes. These hues are the color of natural wood, and they're paired with a light, pastel, or beige backdrop.
The aspirational nature of this design style contributes to its popularity. The clean, bright environment generates a sense of serenity that a lot of people aspire to achieve. The idea of coming home to a house that's free of stress and clutter after a tough day at work is truly everyone's dream. On top of that, the philosophy behind the style is still relevant today, with an emphasis on workmanship, materials, and clean lines. Nordic interiors continue to focus on pale-colored walls and floors, as well as rooms devoid of clutter and adornment, in order to optimize light at every turn.
If there’s one design style that still continues to be relevant in this day and age, it is none other than Scandinavian. One of the reasons why it is so trendy, especially among millennials and young people is that it has straightforward and practical aesthetics. It is the best interior design style fit for a fast-paced lifestyle. Scandinavian interior style is easy to create regardless of where you are in the world. You don’t need to be in the Nordic regions to completely achieve Scandinavian living.
Having a luxurious-looking home is one guaranteed way to increase your overall state of happiness. Whether your day out in the world was rough or successful, whether you are sharing your four walls with friends or family, furry or otherwise, or even if it’s just yourself, a beautiful home environment is a need for anyone living anywhere.
The chairs are where real artistic flair is apparent, and the chair's structure and base elements can make for a clean and chic-looking dining area. One of the best options for a dining chair is the Torso Dining Chair. Lisa Hilland, the designer, was inspired by the traditional hunter chair, with its frame in metal, seat in wood, and backrest in leather when designing her Torso chair. It is a comfortable and functional chair with an eye-catching backrest in plaited leather.
What is a dining area without a statement light fixture? This electric fixture is not only stylish but fully functional too. If you have the capability to wire a pendant or chandelier above the table, choose something fun! This also helps to draw the eye upwards, making the room feel a little bigger than it is. The difference between a pendant and a chandelier is the light direction. Pendant lights focus on providing down light to a table, where chandeliers give a full 360 degrees of light.
Teak has multiple options for a dining chandelier. If you want a soft look, check out the Knit-Wit Pendant. The knitted materiality of the Knit-Wit lights distribute light through the yarn’s pattern, making each lamp distinctive and decorative. The Knit-Wit family of lamps with their basic shape, warmth and lightness, range of sizes and wide color palette can easily and naturally find their place in any style interior. For a more modern look, check out the Flower Pot Pendant VP2.
If you don't have the option for a hanging light, you can opt for floor lights and table lights around the room. Consider a portable light to have right in the center of the table when you are entertaining. One of the most modern designs which is perfect for dining is the Como Portable Light.
Beautiful touches with small items tie the room together. The style of your dishes and cutlery, carefully considered, can harmoniously continue the story already being told by the rest of the room. Porcelain and glass are the preferred material in Scandinavia. To decorate while entertaining, use a carafe for wine or water like the Fia Carafe. The accompanying crystal ball can be used as a stopper, or can nestle at the bottom of the vase, adding a vibrant touch of color.
Other pieces that can add that Scandinavian charm to your dining area are faux animal fur throws, neutral-colored seat cushions, and plants. Even the choice of fabric and textiles around the room is to be seriously considered to maintain the aesthetic. Any appliances that share the space ought to be minimalist and pastel or monochrome in color.
Additionally, flaunt other pieces or items that fit within the style of the room as a neat bow to top it all. Paintings or pictures on the wall, a bare wooden floor, or jute/rope type rugs are just a few of the items that can add your personal touch to this iconic style.
Whether your space is small or big, there is something of the Scandinavian style for all types of homeowners and renters.
You finally have a place to call your own and you're stuck. You may think to yourself that you dream of having a cozy, warm space. You want to have a dining table to host dinner parties and friends. Maybe you want to have a spot for reading or a dressing room. But it doesn't matter how much you want to decorate your whole house because you're on a tight budget. There isn't much cash available for expensive furniture. We're sharing some design tips to help you get started decorating your home without breaking the bank.
Hanging artwork too high is one of the most common decorating mistakes. Hanging artwork above furniture like a sofa or console should not be more than six to nine inches from the top. If no furniture is under the art, it should be at eye level. Hold the artwork center at your own eye level to get a good idea of where the art should hang. The average height is 5'8", so that is typically where art should be centered on a wall. If you want to create a gallery wall, start with the first piece at the correct height and grow the artwork from there.
Interior design was in top trend in 2021 with various innovative ideas. Many new interior design trends included more transitional designs. Many of the popular trends in 2021 will not be around for very long. As interior designers try to return to normal, 2022 will be an interesting year. It's still a new normal, and many people will continue to spend much of their time in their homes in the future. It doesn't matter if you're moving into a new house, renovating an existing one, or renting an apartment. It is important to select furniture, decor, and finishes that will not look out of date next year. These are the interior design trends that will be seen in 2022.
The current bathroom trends express personality and maintain a spa-like sense of serenity. Concrete is the answer. Concrete is the ideal material for this space because of its vivid colors, texture, and depth. Colored concrete is more popular than ever. It is being used in kitchens and on exterior extensions. In concrete, the pigment runs through the entire slab, so the marks won't show up if it chips. Soften up your concrete with your linens and candles along the vanity.
Decorating is an individual process. It's up to you to decide which items will go in your home. You can decorate your home with anything you like, but there are some essential items that every home must-have. These items will make your home look great no matter what style you choose.
1. Vases And BowlsEvery home has at least one bowl or vase. Vases and bowls are timeless accessories that can display flowers or store produce. There are many options for materials, including glass, clay, wood, and porcelain. You can also choose from various styles, from boho to vintage, farmhouse to modern. When it comes to styling coffee tables and dining tables, buffets or credenzas, as well as consoles, vases, and bowls, are great choices.
2. CushionsWe think there is no better way to get more bang for your buck than changing out your cushions. You can add a new color scheme to a room or more texture with them. Swap the foam inserts to feathers for a luxurious look and more comfort!
3. CandlesSince ancient times candles have been used to create light, warmth, and ambiance in homes. Candles are often associated with romance and can create a sense of calm or relaxation. Most homes have a variety of candles in case of power failure.The Romans were the first to create candles. They used papyrus sheets and dipped them into melted tallow. The Chinese may have created candles the same way, using rice paper instead of papyrus. The wax used in candle making has seen a dramatic change. It was replaced with beeswax and paraffin. Soy wax candles are very popular today. The wax is soft, slow-burning, and has no odor.Candles can be found in different shapes: organic shapes and tapered lengths. If you choose candles inside of a jar, recycle the glass or reuse it in your home for storage!
Is there ever enough storage space in your home? People accumulate more stuff and are always looking for storage solutions. Storage has been a key design element. It helps us organize our belongings and makes them look beautiful. This is achieved by cleverly designed furniture and containers that maximize form and function.
Closet organizers are a very popular system. There are many options available, including drawers and shelving. They can also be used to store everything, from scarves to boots. This storage system can be easily expanded or modified to meet changing needs or store that 25th pair. Modular garage units are also very popular and offer total flexibility for anyone who wants to organize their tools. These units are wall-hung panels that come with various hooks and shelves. They can be customized to suit the homeowner's requirements.
5. Wood DecorThere are many ways to incorporate wood decor into your home. Wood is a staple in a Scandi styled home. In keeping with the light and bright aesthetic, light woods such as beech, ash, and pine are typically used most. Wood can be used to create a connection with the natural world. You can mix and match different warm tones. Wooden toys, like that of Danish designer Kay Bojesen’s iconic wooden monkey introduced in 1951, can also be placed around rooms as playful accents.
6. A TrayThere are a few reasons why trays are so great. They're great for carrying multiple things at once. But they also work well to organize accessories on a table surface. They instantly look better when multiple items are placed on one tray. Trays can also be used as decorative accessories, so make sure you choose something that suits your taste and style.
7. BooksWhile books are less popular in our modern age, they are still essential for decorating. Books are great for filling empty shelves and adding height to coffee table displays. They're also great for entertaining guests or for flipping through when they get bored. Beautiful books are beautiful, and every room should have at most one.
8. Lounge Chair
The lounge chair can be used in many places, including the office, bedroom, study, living room, bedroom, or sleeping area. You can get them in any size and shape. Utilize chairs to add on to your seating for guests and to fill empty space within rooms. Putting a chair in the corners of bedrooms or dining rooms can liven the space. Choose a fun cloth or pattern to add a pop. If you choose a wooden style, add a layer of sheepskin or a blanket for softness.
9. A Dining SetTo complement your tableware, a well-balanced collection of dining items can make a home more appealing. This allows you to host friends and have a great meal. For the table and chairs, look for high-quality hardwood frames that are easily reupholstered over time and chairs made from contract-grade foam or cloth. As a guideline, six people is ideal. However, if you want to have more space, you will need more chairs and dining sets. Add layers of napkins, table cloths, and a centerpiece to complete the design.
10. HouseplantsHouseplants make a great addition to any home. They not only look great, but they also can make you feel good. Research has shown that plants not only remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and convert it into oxygen, but they also neutralize harmful chemicals such as formaldehyde and polyethylene. These chemicals can be found in flooring and paints, as well as furniture and flooring. They have been linked with respiratory and other diseases. English ivy and bamboo are some of the most effective plants to improve air quality.Studies have also shown that plants can reduce stress, improve mood, and increase creativity. A recent study found that people who had a plant in their offices had an average blood pressure of four points lower than those who didn't have them. Another study found that people are more likely to come up with original ideas when working in an environment where plants are present. You'll want to make sure your plants are looking modern by using different planters.
ConclusionIt is crucial to decorate your home because it directly impacts everything, from how you perceive yourself to how productive you are. If you have no idea what to do next and what items you need to buy take a style quiz online to begin. Once you have an idea of style, start to pick out different elements that you need from this list.